Vegan Backpacking Curry Rice
This recipe was intended for backpacking.
However, it would also make an easy lunch at work, or weekday dinner.
Mix all the ingredients together ahead of time
add boiling water to prepare.
I like to use the freezer bag cooking method when I’m backpacking.
Simply keep the dry mix in a quart sized freezer bag. Add the hot water directly to the bag.
Add the hot water directly to the bag and set it aside in an insulated container until it’s ready.
Once it’s cooked, eat it directly from the bag.
No dirty dishes to worry about!
After some trial and error, I discovered that you need to use white rice if you are planning on using the freezer bag method. The cook time for brown rice is too long, the water will cool off too fast to properly cook and the rice will still be crunchy.
- ½ cup instant white rice
- ¼ cup unsalted cashews
- 2 Tbsp golden raisins
- soup base or bouillon (enough to make 8 fl oz)
- ½ tsp dehydrated vegetables (optional)
- ¼ tsp dehydrated minced onion
- ¼ tsp curry powder
- (optional) crushed red pepper to taste
- ½ cup boiling water
- Mix all the dry ingredients together
- Add the water when you are ready to prepare the rice.
- Let stand 5-10 mins or until the rice is tender.