These are one of my favorite snacks.
A little sweet
a little spicy
and completely delicious.
Peeling hazelnuts can be kind of tricky.
After some trial and error, I’ve found the Julia Childs method to be the easiest.
Boil 3 cups of water
add 2 Tbps baking soda
add hazelnuts and boil for three minutes.
Drain in a colander and then rinse with cold water for several seconds.
Once the hazelnuts are cool enough to handle grab a small handful and roll back and forth between your hands slightly vigorously until the skins come off.
Slightly sweet and spicy rosemary roasted hazelnuts.
- 3 cups peeled hazelnuts
- 3 Tbsp Agave
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spread hazelnuts in a thin layer on a baking sheet. Bake until lightly golden (about 12 min).
- In a large microwave-safe bowl combine the agave, sugar, rosemary, and Tabasco.
- Microwave on high for one minute. Stir.
- Most of the sugar should be dissolved, if it hasn’t, microwave for an additional 15 seconds.
- Add the salt.
- While the hazelnuts are still hot carefully add them to the bowl and stir until they are well coated.
- Spead the hazelnuts back onto the baking sheet and return to the oven for 3 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
- Break apart any that are stuck together.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 470
- Fat: 41
- Carbohydrates: 24
- Fiber: 7
- Protein: 10